Auburndale, Fla.– The Lyons earned a 15-1 victory in the final game of the 2020 season.
Score: Wheaton 15 - Colby-Sawyer 1
Location: Auburndale Fla./Lake Myrtle Field 8
Records: Wheaton (7-1) - Colby-Sawyer (3-8)
How It Happened:
- The Lyons scored 5 runs in the top of the first inning. Nick Croteau and Jacob Sudley both walked while Nick Raposo singled to load the bases. Bryant Salkind hit an RBI single to left field scoring Croteau. Zach DeMattio then picked up the RBI on a walk scoring Raposo. Quinn Krais then singled to left field bringing home Studley. DeMattio was brought home on a bases-loaded walk from Stephen Quigley. Krais added the 5th run of the inning on a wild pitch.
- Raposo led off the bottom of the 2nd inning with a single. He was brought home on a failed pickoff attempt trying to get Studley out at first. Studley later scored on a balk to give the Lyons a 7-0 lead after two.
- Josh Roberge recorded 5 straight outs before Colby-Sawyer got on the board in the top of the 3rd inning when senior Tim Unczur hit a home run to left field making it 7-1 in favor of the Lyons.
- The Lyons answered in the bottom of the third when Ashley hit an RBI single bringing home Quigley to make it 8-1.
- In the bottom of the 5th inning, Quigley led off with a walk. After an Ashley single, Croteau hit an infield single scoring Quigley. After another single from Raposo, Studley reached safely on a fielder's choice scoring Croteau. DeMattio walked to load the bases. Krais had an RBI walk to score Raposo. George Mulcahey then singled to left field bringing home Demattio and Studley. After another Quigley walk in the inning, Ashley hit a 2 RBI single scoring Mulchaey and Krais to make it 15-1.
- After Roberge gave up a walk to the first batter in the top of the 6th inning, senior Zach Pipa got the final three outs of the inning.
- Senior Paul McGeehan came in for the final 3 outs. After walking the first batter he got the DH to ground into a double-play. The final out was recorded on a grounder to the shortstop, Quigley giving the Lyons a 15-1 victory in the season finale.
By The Numbers:
- Raposo went 3-for-5 with 3 runs scored.
- Roberge pitched 5 innings giving up a lone hit and one earned run with 7 strikeouts.
- Krais went 2-for-3 with w RBIs and 2 runs scored.
- Ashley finished the day 3-for-4 with 3 RBIs and a walk.
That concludes the 2020 season for the Wheaton Baseball team who finishes with a 7-1 record.