Posted: Sep 09, 2017
SCORE: Wheaton 2 - Union (N.Y.) 1
RECORDS: Wheaton (2-1, 0-0 NEWMAC) - Union (N.Y.) (1-1, 0-0 LIBERTY)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Diane C. Nordin '80 Field)
- Wheaton came out firing in the opening half and saw that work pay off in the 21st minute when senior captain Kelsey Buckley found the back of the cage for her third goal of the season. Junior JoAnn Bourgoin collected the assist after sending the ball in from the top of the circle to Buckley, who chipped it past the keeper.
- Buckley made it a 2-0 game just three minutes into the second half with a converted penalty corner. Junior Michelle Connolly picked up the assist on the play.
- Union picked up the intensity following the goal, going onto outshoot the Lyons 11-5 in the second period.
- The Dutchwomen finally broke through with a little over a minute remaining in the contest with a goal from Abigail Torgerson. The goal is her first of the season.
- Senior goalkeeper Riley Thompson picked up her second straight win after coming up with seven saves in 70 minutes of work.
- Heather Poisson picked up her first loss of the season for Union after making five saves.
- Senior Hailey Kohler made a defensive save for the Lyons in the 64th minute on a Charlotte Leyland shot.
- Shots: Wheaton 11 - Union (N.Y.) 15
- Penalty Corners: Wheaton 5 - Union (N.Y.) 13
- Saves: Wheaton 8 - Union (N.Y.) 5