Posted: Oct 07, 2017
SCORE: Wheaton 1 - WPI 2
RECORDS: Wheaton (4-6, 0-4 NEWMAC) - WPI (8-2, 3-1 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Diane C. Nordin '80 Field)
- Wheaton controlled the first seventeen minutes of the contest, eventually posting their first lead as Jordan Brazis-Eberle dumped in a ball that bounced off the keeper's pads following a Michelle Connolly shot.
- The Lyons warded WPI off for what looked to be the remainder of the first half, but the Engineers were awarded a penalty corner with seconds remaining. Shannon Hynes and Amanda Richards combined to even the score with zero time on the clock.
- The second half and first overtime period were scoreless for both teams, as WPI edged the Lyons narrowly in shots for that timeframe, 12-11.
- Engineer Carly Cidado was able to get the ball past Riley Thompson, but Kenzie Stueve said no with a defensive save to keep the game knotted at 1-1.
- Kelsey Buckley had a chance to put the game away with a penalty stroke at 69:42, but Karen Mushrall came up huge for WPI with the diving stick save.
- The Lyons kept the game alive once more in the first overtime period, with Hailey Kohler coming up with a defensive save after an Abby O'Sullivan shot.
- WPI secured the win with a Shannon Hynes goal in the 87th minute following a WPI penalty corner.
- Thompson stopped 13 WPI shots in all 86:17 minutes of the contest.
- Mushrall picks up her eight win of the season after making 15 saves.
- Shots: Wheaton 16 - WPI 22
- Penalty Corners: Wheaton 14 - WPI 14
- Saves: Wheaton 15 - WPI 13