Posted: Oct 28, 2017
SCORE: Wheaton 3 - Wellesley 4 (OT)
RECORDS: Wheaton (5-11, 0-8 NEWMAC) - Wellesley (7-11, 3-5 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Diane C. Nordin '80 Field)
- Wheaton scored first, just 6:30 minutes into the contest, after Elizabeth Helmreich tipped in a ball that was driven hard from Katie Peters way outside the circle.
- Wellesley knotted the game in the sixteenth minute though, as Fallon Oeser dumped a rebound off the pads of the keeper.
- Arielle Mitropoulos gave the Blue their first lead with an unassisted goal a minute later at 16:17.
- At 26:10, the teams were back at square one again when Kelsey Buckley used a back handed chip to convert a Hannah Arkin feed.
- The Lyons were able to enjoy a one-goal lead in the 48th minute after Hannah Southard got a piece of a Peters rocket from the top of the circle on a corner.
- Wheaton held Wellesley off for the remainder of regulation with hopes the Blue would be unable to convert on a penalty corner zero left on the clock. The Blue took full advantage of the corner, sending the game into overtime after a lifted ball into the net from Emmy Hamilton.
- The Lyons took the first two shots and three penalty corners of the extra period, but the momentum shifted by the 76th minute and the visitors took the game with another Mitropoulos goal at 80:22.
- Riley Thompson, in the final game of her career, came up with 15 saves. Maggie Connolly picked up the win with 8 saves.
- Shots: Wheaton 16 - Wellesley 23
- Penalty Corners: Wheaton 8 - Wellesley 10
- Saves: Wheaton 15 - Wellesley 8