Sep 08, 2018
SCORE: Wheaton 3 - Union (N.Y.) 4
RECORDS: Wheaton (1-2, 0-0 NEWMAC) - Union (2-0, 0-0 Liberty League)
LOCATION: Schenectady, N.Y. (Frank Bailey Field)
- The Union College field hockey team of New York scored three goals over the remaining 25 minutes after trailing, 3-1, to defeat the Wheaton Lyons, 4-3. Wheaton comes home from Schenectady with the loss and a 1-2 record, while the Dutchwomen improve to 2-0 overall.
- Hannah LeClair got the ball rolling early for Wheaton, taking a pair of shots and converting for an unassisted goal just 3:24 minutes into the game.
- Union's Sarah Wilkinson fired back to level the score just about 5 minutes later after connecting with Laura Wind on a penalty corner play at 8:21.
- The remainder of the opening period was a back-and-forth affair, with both teams trading a number of penalty corners and shot attempts. Wheaton snuck in a Karin Dion marker from Liz Helmreich with 6 seconds left to play, lifting their lead to 2-1 at the break.
- The Lyons came out hot to start the second half, taking three penalty corners and as many shots in the opening 8:54. The visitors climbed to what would be their largest lead of the day, as Helmreich scored on a penalty stroke at 43:54.
- The Dutchwomen responded quickly once again when Katie Talacci pulled Union within on with a goal 46:25.
- Union was awarded a penalty corner in the 58th minute that would result in a 3-3 game, as Hannah Christian found Alexa Puleio in front of the net. Cici Lyne capitalized off her team's momentum to register the eventual game-winner at 61:51.
- Wheaton kept the pressure on over the rest of the contest, taking the final three corners and two shots, but all attempts fell unsuccessful.
- Morgan Karnes stopped three in the loss and drops to 1-2 on the season, while Heather Poisson improves to 2-0 with 6 saves.
- Liz Helmreich lead all players on the field with five shots, a goal, and an assist.
- Shots: Wheaton 14 - Union 14
- Penalty Corners: Wheaton 9 - Union 6
- Saves: Wheaton 3 - Union 6