Sep 15, 2018
SCORE: Wheaton 2 - Smith 4
RECORDS: Wheaton (1-3, 0-1 NEWMAC) - Smith (2-3, 1-0 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Nordin Field)
- The Wheaton College field hockey team opened their 2018 NEWMAC slate with a 4-2 loss to the visiting Pioneers of Smith College this afternoon. Smith improves to 2-3 with the win, while the Lyons drop to 1-3.
- Sophomore forward Hannah Arkin opened the scoring, beating the goalie to give Wheaton a 1-0 lead just 7:11 into the game.
- Smith's Morgan Handwerger notched a pair of goals between the 23 and 25 minute marks for the Pioneers first lead of the contest, 2-1. Handwerger found the back of the cage at 22:12 when she collected a rebound from a Greta Reilly save, before finding another ball on the left side of the net at 24:13.
- With just over three minutes left to play in the period, Michelle Connolly broke free from her defender on a breakaway up the left side of the field to beat the diving goalkeeper and level the score at 2-2.
- Handwerger scored again to complete her hat trick just 2:05 minutes into the second half, once again off of a goalie pad rebound. Alex Larosee recorded Smith's security goal at 52:50 after slipping the ball in through the goalie's leg pads on a penalty corner.
- Greta Reilly recorded 9 saves in the start, dropping to 0-2 on the season, while Channy Cornell picks up her second win of the season with 1 stop.
- Shots: Wheaton 5 - Smith 18
- Penalty Corners: Wheaton 1 - Smith 11
- Saves: Wheaton 9 - Smith 1