Sep 19, 2018
SCORE: Wheaton 3 - Simmons 1
RECORDS: Wheaton (2-3, 0-1 NEWMAC) - Simmons (2-5, 0-1 GNAC)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Nordin Field)
- Senior midfielder Michelle Connolly netted a pair of goals, including the game-winner in Wheaton College Field Hockey's 3-1 win over the visiting Simmons University Sharks this evening at Nordin Field. With the win, the Lyons improve to 2-3 overall, while Simmons slips to 2-5.
- Connolly got the ball rolling on a penalty corner after nearly 25 scoreless minutes for both teams, scoring off of a slip to the left from junior forward Karin Dion.
- Simmons found the back of the net just 3:20 minutes later, as Emily Plummer broke away up the left side of the field to set up a give-and-go with Olivia Trull and level the score at 1-1. The Sharks had an opportunity to take the lead with a penalty corner in the final seconds of the half, but were unable to capitalize.
- Connolly potted what would turn out to be the game-winner less than a minute into the second period after moving the goalie and putting the ball into the opposite corner of the frame at 35:55. Wheaton's offense continued to push through, adding a security goal in the 57th minute when Liz Helmreich collected a pass from JoAnn Bourgoin at the top of the circle.
- The Lyons recorded two penalty corners and two shots over the final minutes of the contest before Simmons closed the game with another penalty corner at 00:00.
- Greta Reilly improves to 1-2 on the season with tonight's start, while Morgan Karnes turned aside one Simmons attempt in her 13:27 minutes between the pipes. Simmons goalie Lucy McNamara collected 9 saves in the loss.
- Shots: Wheaton 16 - Simmons 4
- Penalty Corners: Wheaton 10 - Simmons 5
- Saves: Wheaton 1 - Smith 9