Sep 22, 2018
SCORE: Wheaton 3 - Clark 2
RECORDS: Wheaton (3-3, 1-1 NEWMAC) - Clark (4-3, 0-2 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Nordin Field)
- The Wheaton College field hockey team returned to the field Saturday afternoon for a New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) contest against the visiting Cougars of Clark University. The Lyons, who picked up a 3-2 win, collected their first NEWMAC victory since Oct. 22, 2016.
- Wheaton, who netted two first-half goals, got things going in the 10th minute with a goal from Lauren Bartlett. The juniors first goal of the season came after a pass into the circle was miscleared by a Clark defender and picked up by Bartlett, who dribbled past a sprawled out Grace Sawyer and calmly put it in the cage.
- The Lyons kept the pressure on in the opening half, peppering the Clark defense, which included a shot from Liz Helmreich that was saved by Sawyer but fell to senior captain Michelle Connolly, who buried it for her sixth goal of the season and first of the game.
- Wheaton made it a 3-0 game less than a minute into the second half with another Connolly goal. The goal was set up by Hannah LeClair who slipped the ball into Connolly, who beat Sawyer one-on-one and fired the ball to the far post.
- Clark continued to fight, withstanding a series of offensive attacks from the Lyons, before going on an offensive assault of its own minutes later. The Cougars earned a goal back in the 46th minute after being awarded a penalty stroke which was taken and converted by Olivia Barksdale. Barksdale pulled Clark within a goal in the 61st minute after taking a series of penalty corners, which finally resulted in a goal.
- Wheaton regrouped and was able to control play following the second Clark goal, closing out the contest with three consecutive penalty corners.
- Morgan Karnes and Greta Reilly split time in goal for Wheaton with Karnes earning the win. Karnes was not forced to make a save in her 35 minutes of action, while Reilly came up with three while surrendering both goals. Sawyer made three saves for the Cougars in the loss.
- Shots: Wheaton 11 - Clark 6
- Penalty Corners: Wheaton 7 - Clark 6
- Saves: Wheaton 3 - Clark 3