Sep 25, 2018
SCORE: Wheaton 6 - JWU (Providence) 1
RECORDS: Wheaton (4-3, 1-1 NEWMAC) - JWU (1-6, 0-2 GNAC)
LOCATION: Providence, R.I. (Scott's Miracle Gro)
- The Wheaton College field hockey team's offense came alive in a 6-1 win over their host, Johnson and Wales University Providence this evening. The Lyons improve to 4-3 overall before taking on Husson this Friday night, while the Wildcats drop to 1-6.
- Junior forward Liz Helmreich scored the first three goals of the second half for a hat trick to lift the Lyons' advantage from one goal to four by the 43rd minute.
- Michelle Connolly put Wheaton on the board first, 12:23 minutes into the game, after dumping in a rebound for a 1-0 advantage. Hannah Arkin chipped in for another goal in the same fashion, this time just 27 seconds later.
- Natalie Rivas of JWU cut the Wildcat deficit in half in the 21st minute of the game with an unassisted goal to close the half.
- After Helmreich's three markers in the second, the Wheaton offense continued to drive, adding another goal at 47:43 as Arkin found Connolly to end the outing, 6-1.
- Greta Reilly earned the win with 7 saves in 46:43, while Morgan Karnes anchored the defense over the remaining 23:17 with three stops and no goals against.
- Claire Nolan takes the loss, allowing 4 goals and turning away four. Grace Pendergast also came away with a .500 save percentage this evening with 2 saves and 2 goals against.
- Shots: Wheaton 25 - JWU 15
- Penalty Corners: Wheaton 7 - JWU 5
- Saves: Wheaton 10 - JWU 6