Posted: Sep 28, 2018
SCORE: Wheaton 5 - Husson 3
RECORDS: Wheaton (5-3, 1-1 NEWMAC) - Husson (1-6, 1-0 NAC)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Nordin Field)
- Junior forward Liz Helmreich netted two goals in the final ten minutes of the contest to propel the Wheaton College field hockey team to a 5-3 victory over the visiting Eagles of Husson University this evening at Nordin Field. The Lyons tie their 2017 wins total as they improve to 5-3 overall, while Husson drops to 1-6.
- The Lyons' goalkeeping staff split duties at 35:00 minutes each, with Morgan Karnes appearing for the start and earning the win with four saves and Greta Reilly holding it down in the second half with six.
- Wheaton started the contest with a high-tempo offense, as they poured in two goals within the first ten minutes and a third goal for a three-zero lead in the 20th minute. Hannah Arkin scored first at 2:57 with an unassisted chip into the high right corner of the net, just before Lauren Bartlett scored with a drive from the top of the circle off of a penalty corner insert from Michelle Connolly at 8:35. Sarah Yates connected with Connolly in a scramble in front of the net in the 20th minute for the Lyons' third tally.
- Husson's Arika Brochu put her team on the board with a line drive to the net on a penalty corner that deflected off the stick of a Wheaton defender and into the net at 24:23.
- The Eagles used that momentum and continued to challenge Wheaton from that point. Sadie Royer deposited a pair of goals to level the score at three, scoring just 30 seconds into the second period and again in the 52nd minute.
- Helmreich's late goals secured the 5-3 victory. Husson would take advantage of a penalty corner with no time left nonetheless for a chance to shorten the gap to 5-4, but were unable to convert as Haley Warden's drive attempt was blocked by a Wheaton stick to end the game.
- Shots: Wheaton 14 - Husson 19
- Penalty Corners: Wheaton 9 - Husson 14
- Saves: Wheaton 10 - Husson 8