Posted: Oct 02, 2018
SCORE: Wheaton 2 - MIT 4
RECORDS: Wheaton (5-4, 1-2 NEWMAC) - MIT (8-4, 3-1 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Cambridge, Mass. (Jack Barry Field)
- The Wheaton College field hockey team dropped a 4-2 decision to NEWMAC opponent MIT this evening in Cambridge. MIT improves to 8-4 overall and 3-1 in conference play, while the Lyons drop to 5-4 and 1-2.
- Sophomore forward Hannah Arkin scored the first goal of the game to put the Lyons on top at 6 minutes even before the Engineers would net back-to-back goals for a 2-1 lead heading into the half. Laura Chen answered back just 3:37 minutes after Arkin's goal before Bailey Tregoning would connect with Bailey Goetz at 22:06.
- Senior midfielder Michelle Connolly knotted the game at two, poking the ball in less than two minutes into the second half, after finding a ball from classmate JoAnn Bourgoin in a scramble in front of the net.
- MIT struck again for a 3-2 lead when Amanda Garofalo deposited a rebound off the pads of Wheaton keeper Morgan Karnes at 43:41. Wheaton trailed 3-2 until the 68th minute, firing off three shots before Goetz finalized the score at 4-2 with a penalty corner goal at 67:28.
- Tregoning launched another shot for a chance at a fifth goal at 69:00, but Courtney Foley backed up Karnes for her first defensive save of the season.
- Karnes appeared for the complete, 70-minute effort, making 13 saves in the outing. MIT goalie Grace Moore picks up the win with three saves and two goals against.
- Shots: Wheaton 7 - MIT 24
- Penalty Corners: Wheaton 5 - MIT 11
- Saves: Wheaton 13 - MIT 3