Posted: Oct 05, 2018
SCORE: Wheaton 1 - WPI 6
RECORDS: Wheaton (5-5, 1-3 NEWMAC) - WPI (9-2, 3-1 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Worcester, Mass. (Alumni Field)
- The Wheaton College field hockey team dropped a 6-1 road decision vs. WPI this evening in Worcester. Wheaton evens their record at 5-5 and 1-3 in the NEWMAC as WPI improves to 9-2 and 3-1 in conference play.
- Liz Helmreich scored the lone goal for the Lyons, converting a penalty corner rebound into a goal in the 67th minute. Helmreich ranks second on the team in goals (8) and points (17), behind Michelle Connolly who ranks first.
- WPI tallied six consecutive goals over the opening 59 minutes of the contest including two from Abby O'Sullivan and two from Bridget Sullivan, who registered both goals on just two shots. The Engineers also enjoyed a goal from both Angie Ferro and Shannon Hynes.
- The Lyons trailed 2-0, at the half, after O'Sullivan registered a pair of unassisted goals.
- First year Ferro registered the first goal of the second period, also unassisted, before Sullivan scored back to back markers in the 38th and 41st minutes. Hynes would notch the Engineers' final goal of the evening after collecting help from Julia Vanderstreet at 58:11.
- Greta Reilly stopped six WPI shots in 43:14 minutes of work before Morgan Karnes stepped in for relief, making three saves in 26:46 minutes.
- Karen Mushrall improved to 9-2 overall as she picked up a save in 58:45 minutes. Ali Gannon saw 11:15 minutes between the pipes and also registered one save.
- Shots: Wheaton 5 - WPI 23
- Penalty Corners: Wheaton 5 - WPI 10
- Saves: Wheaton 9 - WPI 2