Posted: Oct 09, 2018
SCORE: Wheaton 1 - Wesleyan 2
RECORDS: Wheaton (5-6, 1-3 NEWMAC) - Wesleyan (4-7, 0-6 NESCAC)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Diane Nordin '80 Field)
- Pheobe Seifert registered the Lyons' lone goal, her first collegiate goal, as Wesleyan University (Conn.) delivered a 2-1 loss to the Wheaton College field hockey team this evening on Nordin Field. Wheaton drops to 5-6 overall while the Cardinals improve to 4-7.
- Wesleyan built a 2-0 lead by the 45th minute of the game. Nikki Gerjarusak pulled the ball in a 1v1 all the way from the right pipe to the left corner of the net at 6:35 to give the Cardinals a 1-0 halftime lead. Maddie Shea made it past Wheaton keeper Greta Reilly on the left side after 9:06 minutes had gone by in the second period for Wesleyan's final goal of the night.
- Lindsay Janeczek denied Grace Kohn a goal at 35:15, as she appeared behind Reilly to clear the ball out and register the game's only defensive save.
- The Lyons outshot the visitors, 4-2, over the twenty minutes that followed, before Seifert scored with a chip on a drive from Michelle Connolly at the top of the circle at 64:28.
- Wheaton upped the tempo until time ran out, putting up two penalty corners and a shot while holding the Wesleyan offense to zero shots, but the attempts came up unsuccessful.
- Morgan Karnes appeared for the start, coming up with 5 saves in 35 minutes. Reilly came in for relief in the final 35 minutes to turn aside two.
- Delaney Wood picked up three saves and a win in the complete effort.
- Shots: Wheaton 6 - Wesleyan 14
- Penalty Corners: Wheaton 5 - Wesleyan 6
- Saves: Wheaton 8 - Wesleyan 3