Posted: Oct 13, 2018
SCORE: Wheaton 1 - Mount Holyoke 2
RECORDS: Wheaton (5-7, 1-4 NEWMAC) - Mount Holyoke (8-6, 3-3 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Diane Nordin '80 Field)
- The Wheaton College field hockey team fell 2-1 to the visiting Mount Holyoke College Lyons this afternoon on Senior Day. Mount Holyoke jumps to .500 in the NEWMAC at 3-3 with today's win, while Wheaton drops to 1-4 and 5-7 overall.
- Kristina Ramsden recorded both of the visiting Lyons' goals to lift Mount Holyoke to the win, both of which were unassisted.
- Both squads came within inches of scoring in the first half, but all attempts were denied with defensive saves from Lindsay Janeczek and Mount Holyoke's Mirjam Keochakian.
- Sophomore Hannah Arkin tied the game just 2:31 minutes after Ramsden put Mount Holyoke on the board at 43:14, after slamming in a rebound from a goalie save on her own shot.
- The visiting Lyons took a penalty corner in the 58th minute that resulted in a high lifted shot from Keochakian and a stick save by the crossbar for Wheaton keeper Greta Reilly. Ramsden stuffed the rebound just barely in past the left pipe for the game-winner just seconds later.
- Morgan Karnes picked up the start between the pipes for Wheaton, holding Mount Holyoke scoreless with three saves. Reilly came in for 35 minutes of relief to collect 8 saves.
- Morgan Turner turned aside three saves in the complete, 70-minute game for the visitors.
- Keochakian led with a game-high 6 shots, while Arkin led the host Lyons with three.
- Shots: Wheaton 9 - Mount Holyoke 20
- Penalty Corners: Wheaton 5 - Mount Holyoke 14
- Saves: Wheaton 12 - Mount Holyoke 4