Oct 23, 2018
SCORE: Wheaton 3 - Bridgewater State University 4 (OT)
RECORDS: Wheaton (5-10, 1-6 NEWMAC) - Bridgewater State (9-7, 6-5 Little East)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Diane Nordin '80 Field)
- The Bridgewater State University Bears scored in the 69th minute to force an overtime and eventually defeat the Wheaton College field hockey team in sudden-death fashion, 4-3, at Nordin Field. The Bears improve to 9-7 overall, while Wheaton drops to 5-10.
- Bridgewater State wasted almost no time getting on the board, as Samantha Hayes dribbled downfield from the opening whistle for an unassisted breakaway just 20 seconds in.
- The Lyons fired right back, however, answering with a Hannah LeClair goal off of a JoAnn Bourgoin cross, just 56 seconds later at 1:16.
- Both teams deposited another marker each before the first period time would run out for a 2-2 halftime score. Bridgewater State's Julianne Kilduff helped the Bears take a lead with an unassisted goal at 11:28, before Sarah Yates leveled the scoreboard again after collecting a cross from Hannah Arkin on the right side of the circle in the 33rd minute.
- Wheaton scored first in the second period to their first lead of the game when Liz Helmreich drove a ball from the top of the circle that deflected into the net off the stick of a Bridgewater State defender at 59:49. The Lyons outshot the visitors 4-1 from that point until Hayes exploded for a 50-yard breakaway goal to force the sudden-death overtime with just 1:22 left in regulation.
- Hayes took a wide-open lane to the cage at 53 seconds into overtime, but Morgan Karnes dove to stop the attempt. Just over a minute later, it was Hayes again to charge up the field and send the ball into the back of the net for the 4-3 BSU win.
- Karnes drops to 4-3 on the season after stopping 7 Bridgewater State shots, while Jillian Delaney earned her second win of the year with 13 saves.
- Shots: Wheaton 23 - Bridgewater State 14
- Penalty Corners: Wheaton 6 - Bridgewater State 3
- Saves: Wheaton 7 - Bridgewater State 13