SCORE: Wheaton 1 - Salve Regina 2
RECORDS: Wheaton (0-2, 0-0 NEWMAC) - Salve Regina (2-0, 0-0 CCC)
LOCATION: Middletown, R.I. (Gaudet Field)
- The Wheaton College field hockey team dropped a 2-1 decision to Salve Regina University in their first road game of the 2019 season.
- Eliza Timms opened the scoring at 15:52 as she converted a ball from Hannah Amato for a 1-0 lead. Timms struck again to give Salve a 2-0 advantage after capitalizing on a penalty corner and producing an unassisted shot.
- Senior captain Liz Helmreich scored the Lyons' lone goal in the 50th minute of the game, just 3.5 minutes after Salve's second goal to put Wheaton in a position to tie things up with ten minutes left to play.
- The final minutes of the contest would turn out to be all Salve, as the host Seahawks put up six shots while holding the Lyons scoreless to close out the game with a win.
- Morgan Karnes saw all 60 minutes of action this evening, producing a 9-save effort in the loss. Casey Febus picks up the win as she stopped one and allowed one for a .500 save percentage.
- Eight different Wheaton players fired a shot to contribute to the Lyons' offense, but Helmreich led the pack with two shots on the night.
- Shots: Wheaton 9 - Salve Regina 23
- Corners: Wheaton 4 - Salve Regina 9
- Saves: Wheaton 9, Salve Regina 1
UP NEXT: Wheaton returns to action on Saturday, September 7, when they host Union College (N.Y.) at noon on Nordin Field.