SCORE: Wheaton 0 - Wesleyan (CT) 3
RECORDS: Wheaton (1-3, 0-0 NEWMAC) - Wesleyan (2-1, 0-0 NESCAC)
LOCATION: Middletown, Conn. (Smith Field)
- The Wheaton College field hockey team fell to the Cardinals of Wesleyan University, 3-0, thanks to three second half goals this evening in Middletown.
- The Lyons' defense was especially solid in the first half as they turned aside all nine shot attempts from the host team for a 0-0 halftime score, eventually giving in for Wesleyan's first goal in the third quarter by Nikki Gerjarusak. The contest remained a one-goal game until almost the 54th minute of regulation thanks to the work of senior goalie Morgan Karnes.
- Wesleyan scored the final pair of goals within about four minutes of each other, with Amy Schaap reaching the net unassisted at 52:59, and Olivia Baglieri scoring from Schaap at 56:56.
- Karnes comes home with 13 saves in the loss, while Delaney Wood picks up her second win this season and two saves.
- Shots: Wheaton 2 - Wesleyan 19
- Corners: Wheaton 2 - Wesleyan 5
- Saves: Wheaton 13, Wesleyan 2
UP NEXT: Wheaton will prepare to take on the Eagles of Husson University this Saturday, September 14 at Husson at 11:00 a.m.