SCORE: Wheaton 3 - Husson 4
RECORDS: Wheaton (1-4, 0-0 NEWMAC) - Husson (2-2, 0-0 NAC)
LOCATION: Bangor, Maine (Winkin Complex)
- Husson University used an early, 3-goal run to defeat the visiting Wheaton College field hockey team, 4-3, this afternoon in Bangor.
- Karin Dion sparked the Wheaton offense in the 9th minute of the game for a 1-0 lead when she collected a ball off the stick of Hannah Arkin.
- Husson's three-goal run kicked off just four minutes later, starting with an unassisted marker by Adelie Foss followed by a Karen Stemm goal from Mallory Fairbanks just 1:23 minutes later. Ryley Newcomb connected with Allysah Greene for the first goal of the second period and a 3-1 lead at 23:32.
- Arkin responded accordingly by scoring unassisted in the 24th minute and cutting the gap to 3-2.
- Greene added a security goal for the Eagles at 38:03. Karin Dion registered her second goal of the day off of an assist by Ellie Williams with just over ten minutes left in the game to put the Lyons in position to tie the game up.
- Wheaton earned a penalty corner with less then two minutes on the board, but Liz Helmreich's shot on goal was turned aside with a big save from Husson's Kimmie Goddard.
- Morgan Karnes recorded nine saves in the loss while Goddard updates her record to 2-2 with three saves.
- Dion and Helmreich lead the Lyons with two shots each.
- Shots: Wheaton 7 - Husson 25
- Corners: Wheaton 3 - Husson 15
- Saves: Wheaton 9, Husson 3
UP NEXT: Wheaton resumes their schedule on Wednesday, September 18, as they take on GNAC opponent Simmons University at 4:00 p.m. in Boston.