SCORE: Wheaton 0 - Smith 7
RECORDS: Wheaton (1-6, 0-1 NEWMAC) - Smith (2-5, 1-0 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Northampton, Mass.
- The Wheaton College field hockey team suffered a 7-0 loss to Smith in the pair's NEWMAC opener this afternoon in Northampton.
- Smith's goalie Channy Cornell played a role in the victory, as she turned aside all 11 of Wheaton's shots on goal for a perfect save percentage. The Lyons and Smith each registered 20 shots and Wheaton held a 7-6 advantage in corners.
- Grace Moorhead and Morgan Handwerger wasted little time getting the Smith offense going, as they each found the back of the net with assisted goals before the two-minute mark.
- Victoria Mellow added another goal to the smith tally in the first half as she scored without any help in the final minute of the second quarter for a 3-0 lead.
- The Pioneers used the fourth quarter to keep the offense rolling, as they scored four times in the final 15 mintues to seal the 7-0 win. Moorhead hit the net at 49:25 before Sammie Pavlov connected for back-to-back goals within a two-minute span. Finally, Anna Ballou registered her first goal of the day thanks to assistance from Jessica Jacinto and Victoria Mellow in the 57th minute.
- Morgan Karnes faced 15 shots on goal, turning aside eight of them.
- Elizabeth Helmreich and Courtney Foley each released a team-leading four shots.
- Shots: Wheaton 20 - Smith 20
- Corners: Wheaton 7 - Smith 6
- Saves: Wheaton 8, Smith 11
UP NEXT: Wheaton returns to Norton as they prepare for a 4:00 p.m. contest vs. Johnson and Wales on Wednesday, September 25th. VIDEO / LIVE STATS