Posted: Jan 10, 2018
SCORE: Wheaton 64 - WPI 74
RECORDS: Wheaton (9-4, 1-2 NEWMAC) - WPI (7-7, 1-2 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Emerson Gymnasium)
- David Carbonello paced the Lyons with a 13-point performance to go along with 10 points off the bench for Alex DuBrow, who shot 4-5 from the floor and 2-3 in free throws.
- Juniors Duaka Ekwensi and Riley Tetreault contributed 9 points apiece, combining for 10 boards.
- Chris Rodgers led all players on the floor with 19 points, 7 rebounds and 4 assists, while Jake Wisniewski and Reid Walker each recorded eleven points.
- WPI got off to a hot start, using an 11-2 run to start the game. The Engineers would maintain a lead of at least 7 points and as many as 12, until 4 unanswered Wheaton layups over the final two minutes of the half would close the gap, 32-30.
- The teams traded points to start the second half, but back-to-back three-pointers for WPI would give them an 8-point advantage once again.
- WPI gained their largest lead of the night, 13 points, with a Dakota Wheeler layup with 7:56 left on the clock. Five consecutive points from Carbonello and a pair of Ryan Fogarty free throws, however, would bring the Lyons within four points at the 1:53 minute mark. WPI answered with 10 points to finish up the game and claim a 10-point, NEWMAC victory.
- Wheaton used 18 of WPI's turnovers to score 21 points, while WPI out-rebounded the Lyons, 38-33.
- Field Goals: Wheaton 19-52 / WPI 26-58
- 3-Point FG: Wheaton 4-15 / WPI 7-20
- Free Throw: Wheaton 22-29 / WPI 15-17
- Points off Turnovers: Wheaton 15 / WPI 14
- Rebounds: Wheaton 21 / WPI 22
- Assists: Wheaton 6 / WPI 9