SCORE: Wheaton 69 - Drew 73
RECORDS: Wheaton (2-1, 0-0 NEWMAC) - Drew (2-0)
LOCATION: Morristown, N.J. (Luing Gymnasium)
- The Wheaton College men's basketball team took to the road for the Rose City Classic Friday evening with a contest against the tournament hosts Drew University. A strong second half of action pushed the host Rangers past the Lyons 73-69.
- The Lyons were led by a 19 point performance from junior Alex DuBrow who finished 5-of-12 from the floor and 8-of-9 from the free-throw line. DuBrow also picked up four rebounds, four assists, and two steals. Senior Duaka Ekwensi netted 17 points in the loss, while Riley Tetreault finished with 11 and David Carbonello ended the night with 10.
- Tetreault ended the night one rebound shy of a double-double, pulling down a game-high nine board, while also being credited with a game-high two blocks.
- Riley Collins of Drew led all players with 24 points, finishing 9-of-16 from the floor, which included a 6-of-10 performance from three-point range. Nate Aldrich finished with eight points and eight rebounds for the Rangers.
- The first half started off competitively with the two sides tying the score five times before Wheaton took control of the game with just under three minutes remaining until halftime. With the game tied at 27-27, back-to-back Ekwensi free-throws handed the Lyons the lead, which they would push 35-30 at the intermission.
- The Lyons started the second half strong, taking their largest lead of the game at the 15:47 mark when two made free-throws from Ekwensi made it a 47-37 contest. The Rangers responded with an uptempo offense that steadily chipped away at the deficit, eventually tying the game for the sixth time with 4:41 to play. Drew took the lead back for good with four minutes left to play on a free-throw from Malachi Walker. Wheaton continued to battle, pulling within a few points several times, but the Lyons would never be able to recapture control of the scoreboard.
- Field Goals: Wheaton 21-55 / Drew 25-59
- 3-Point FG: Wheaton 4-12 / Drew 10-24
- Free Throw: Wheaton 23-30 / Drew 13-17
- Points off Turnovers: Wheaton 18 / Drew 13
- Rebounds: Wheaton 36 / Drew 36
- Assists: Wheaton 13 / Drew 15
UP NEXT: Wheaton returns to action on Saturday, Nov. 17 for the final game of the tournament. The Lyons will face the loser of Dickinson/Washington & Lee in the consolation game at 2 p.m.