Posted: Nov 27, 2018
SCORE: Wheaton 69 - Framingham State 52
RECORDS: Wheaton (5-1, 0-0 NEWMAC) - Framingham State (1-4, 0-0 MASCAC)
LOCATION: Framingham, Mass.
- The Wheaton College men's basketball team picked up their 5th win of the season as they defeated the Rams of Framingham State University this evening behind a 21-point performance by senior David Carbonello. The Lyons stand at 5-1 overall after tonight's win while Framingham State drops to 1-4.
- Carbonello went 7-12 from the field and connected on both of his three-point attempts while also collecting 8 boards, two assists and two steals.
- Duaka Ekwensi registered 18 points and 9 rebounds, while Ricardo Ripley notched 10 points.
- Junior Riley Tetreault led both teams in rebounds as he pulled down 10 in addition to 9 points and a pair of steals.
- Tyri Hampton led the way for the Rams with 13 points, while Matthew Rohelia and Cameren McCloud-Thomas each chipped in with 10 points.
- The first half of the game was evenly matched, as the teams traded leads 4 times in the opening 15 minutes. Wheaton found themselves down by as many as 5 points with 8:54 on the clock after a 9-0 run that included 8 straight points from Rohelia. The Lyons found the lead again after a Jake Malcom trifecta at 5:18 before closing out the half with a slim, 29-27 advantage.
- Wheaton used a high-power second half to secure the win, as they outscored Framingham State 40-25 over the final 20 minutes. The Lyons built an immediate cushion to start the half using a 13-2 run sparked by 9 points from Carbonello, 2 points from Ekwensi and 2 points from Tetreault.
- The Lyons recorded their largest lead of the night, a 19-point differential with 3:01 to play before time expired with a 69-52 Wheaton victory.
- Field Goals: Wheaton 23-56 / FSU 19-56
- 3-Point FG: Wheaton 4-13 / FSU 3-15
- Free Throw: Wheaton 19-26 / FSU 11-21
- Points off Turnovers: Wheaton 12 / FSU 6
- Rebounds: Wheaton 49 / FSU 34
- Assists: Wheaton 9 / FSU 3