Posted: Nov 29, 2018
SCORE: Wheaton 90 - Regis 67
RECORDS: Wheaton (6-1, 0-0 NEWMAC) - Regis (4-3, 0-0 GNAC)
LOCATION: Weston, Mass. (Higgins Court)
- The Wheaton College men's basketball team rolled to their 6th win of the season and a 6-1 overall record as they defeated the Pride of Regis College, 90-67, this evening in Weston.
- The Lyons were led by David Carbonello with 24 points, 5 steals and 3 assists. The senior went 9-16 from field goal range and 5-6 from the charity stripe.
- Nick Geremia knocked down 16 points in 31 minutes, while Duaka Ekwensi registered 15 points and 9 rebounds.
- Niles Cohen came off the bench to contribute 15 points after shooting 100% during his 16 minutes on the court. Cohen shot 5-5 from the field, including 3-3 from beyond the arc in addition to his 2-2 from the line.
- Ademola Afonja paced the Pride with 18 points and 5 boards to go along with 12 points from Dimitri Rosa and 10 points from Shawn Wedderburn.
- Wheaton entered the locker room with a 46-39 advantage at halftime after leading by as many as 9 points in the period. The Pride pulled within three points, 30-27, with a Jordan Seldon free throw with 4:15 minutes on the clock, but a 10-4 run sparked by a Carbonello three helped the Lyons widen the gap before halftime.
- The Lyons continued to add to their lead over the course of the second half. Ekwensi drained a pair of free throws for a 20-point Lyons lead before Afonja of Regis dunked to stop the run and put the Pride back on the board.
- Zach Dagan entered the game to hit a free-throw for a new largest lead, 87-65, with 1:40 left to play. Jordan Wiggins and Skyye Brathwaite combined for the final points for Wheaton as the Lyons came away with the 90-67 win.
- Field Goals: Wheaton 32-70 / Regis 26-63
- 3-Point FG: Wheaton 6-18 / Regis 6-22
- Free Throw: Wheaton 20-23 / Regis 9-18
- Points off Turnovers: Wheaton 23 / Regis 11
- Rebounds: Wheaton 50 / Regis 31
- Assists: Wheaton 9 / Regis 11