Dec 01, 2018
SCORE: Wheaton 84 - Dean 69
RECORDS: Wheaton (7-1, 0-0 NEWMAC) - Dean (4-3, 0-0 NECC)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Emerson Gymnasium)
- The Wheaton College men's basketball team picked up an 84-69 non-conference win Saturday afternoon over the visiting Dean College Bulldogs in Emerson Gymnasium led by a career-high 30 points from senior Duaka Ekwensi.
- Ekwensi, who has scored 30 points just one other time, ended the night 11-for-17 from the floor and 7-of-8 from the free-throw line. Ekwensi also chipped in four assists, while coming up with eight rebounds, three steals, and a block.
- Seniors Riley Tetreault, Nick Geremia, and David Carbonello also ended the game in double-figures for the Lyons with Tetreault knocking down 18 points, while also grabbing a game-high nine boards. Geremia ended the night with 14 points, while Carbonello contributed 13 in the win.
- Randolf Thurman led the Bulldogs with 17 points, while teammate Jordan Booker scored 15 in the loss.
- Wheaton opened the game on fire, running up an 11 point, 28-17, lead over the first 12 minutes of action. Dean responded however with a 16-6 run to close out the first half trailing by just one as both teams headed to the locker room with the Lyons leading 36-35.
- Dean carried the momentum into the second half with baskets from Armani Baker and Dayvon Russell that gave Dean a 40-36 lead. Wheaton retook the lead with 14:21 on the clock courtesy of an Ekwensi basket that made it 46-44. Wheaton would never trail again. Wheaton pushed its lead to 60-51 win eight minutes remaining with an Ekwensi layup and Tetreault three-pointer. The Bulldogs were able to respond with another run, but they would never be able to regain control of the scoreboard. The Lyons closed things out by scoring 20 of the final 28 points of the contest.
- Field Goals: Wheaton 33-62 / Dean 27-60
- 3-Point FG: Wheaton 4-17 / Dean 10-28
- Free Throw: Wheaton 14-17 / Dean 5-8
- Points off Turnovers: Wheaton 11 / Dean 11
- Rebounds: Wheaton 39 / Dean 27
- Assists: Wheaton 22 / Dean 13