Dec 04, 2018
SCORE: Wheaton 81 - Bridgewater State 65
RECORDS: Wheaton (8-1, 0-0 NEWMAC) - Bridgewater State (1-6, 0-0 MASCAC)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Emerson Gymnasium)
- The Wheaton College men's basketball team defeated Bridgewater State in Emerson Gymnasium this evening for the first time since 2004, defeating the Bears by a margin of 81-65. Wheaton improves to 8-1 overall with the win, while the Bears drop to 1-6.
- Duaka Ekwensi and Riley Tetreault paced the Lyons with 18 points apiece, to go along with Ekwensi's 5 rebounds and 4 blocks as well as Tetreault's 9 rebounds.
- Senior David Carbonello registered 13 points, 4 rebounds and 3 assists, while Niles Cohen scored 13 points off the bench. Cohen shot 3-4 from 3-point range and 5-7 in overall field goals.
- Newcomer Jordan Wiggins went 4-5 from the field, scoring 8 points in 12 minutes worth of work. Junior forward Robby Lowey also tallied 8 points, as he shot 4-6 from the field and collected 7 boards.
- Bridgewater State's Corey Green led all players on the court with 19 points after connecting on 5 of 9 three-point attempts on the evening. Rayshon Ward chipped in with 11 points for the Bears in addition to 3 steals, 4 rebounds and an assist.
- Wheaton led the Bears, 43-23 at the half thanks to 10 first-half points from Cohen and points from 6 other Lyons. Ryan Carney helped BSU find their first and only lead of the evening, 8-7, after a made jumper at 15:47. The Lyons promptly capped off a 8-0 run with an Ekwensi dunk to regain the lead at 15-7. From that point, Wheaton continued to build steam until they reached their largest lead thus far, 20 points, with the Carbonello layup that ended the period.
- The teams exchanged field goals to start the second period before David Carbonello and Robby Lowey made back-to-back layups to widen the gap to 24 points at 51-27. Bridgewater State chipped away for the remainder of the contest, actually outscoring the Lyons 42-38 in the second period, but Wheaton stayed composed to come out with the 81-65 win.
- Field Goals: Wheaton 32-58 / BSU 24-65
- 3-Point FG: Wheaton 3-12 / BSU 8-28
- Free Throw: Wheaton 14-18 / BSU 9-10
- Points off Turnovers: Wheaton 19 / BSU 19
- Rebounds: Wheaton 41 / BSU 28
- Assists: Wheaton 13 / BSU 11