Jan 05, 2019
SCORE: Wheaton 56 - Springfield 73
RECORDS: Wheaton (10-2, 1-1 NEWMAC) - Springfield (4-9, 1-1 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Emerson Gymnasium)
- The Springfield College men's basketball team defeated Wheaton College in NEWMAC play this afternoon, 73-56, at Emerson Gymnasium. Springfield improves to 4-9 overall and 1-1 in the NEWMAC, while Wheaton picks up their first loss after an 8-game win streak to drop to 10-2 and 1-1.
- Senior Duaka Ekwensi paced both teams with 20 points, as he shot 7-11 from the field and a perfect, 6-6 from the line in 33 minutes on the court.
- David Carbonello and Riley Tetreault each registered 9 points, with Tetreault grabbing 8 rebounds and Carbonello collecting 3 and 2 assists.
- Ricardo Ripley notched 6 points, paired with another 6 points from Robby Lowey off the bench.
- Both Jake Ross and Trey Witter lead the Pride with 17 each. Ross also added 9 boards, 3 assists and a steal.
- Springfield enjoyed a 47-20 advantage at the half, after two separate 10-0 runs in the first ten minutes of the game, followed by a 13-4 run to climb to 39-12 at 5:17.
- The teams split the score over the final 5 minutes of the half, 8-8, behind 6 points from Ekwensi and a layup from Niles Cohen.
- Wheaton turned up the heat in the second half, outscoring the Pride 36-26 thanks to Ekwensi's 8 points and a combined 14 from Carbonello and Tetreault, but it wouldn't be enough as Springfield took away the 73-56 win.
- Field Goals: Wheaton 21-56 / Springfield 26-51
- 3-Point FG: Wheaton 3-7 / Springfield 11-23
- Free Throw: Wheaton 11-14 / Springfield 10-13
- Points off Turnovers: Wheaton 12 / Springfield 21
- Rebounds: Wheaton 33 / Springfield 32
- Assists: Wheaton 3 / Springfield 12