Posted: Jan 09, 2019
SCORE: Wheaton 46 - WPI 70
RECORDS: Wheaton (10-3, 1-2 NEWMAC) - WPI (10-4, 1-2 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Worcester, Mass.
- The Wheaton College men's basketball team was defeated, 70-46, by the Engineers of WPI on the road. Wheaton suffers its second straight loss as they slip to 10-3 and 1-2 in the NEWMAC, while WPI improves to 10-4 and 1-2.
- Robby Lowey scored a team-high 10 points to go along with his 4 rebounds on the night. David Carbonello and Duaka Ekwensi put up 5 points apiece as Niles Cohen came off the bench to score another 5 points for the Lyons.
- Engineer Reid Walker notched 15 points and 4 boards to lead all players on the floor, shooting 6-7 in field goals, 50 percent from three-point range and a perfect, 2-2 from the line.
- Logan O'Donnell registered 11 points for WPI, while Ethan Harrell scored 9 points off the bench.
- WPI came out too strong for the Lyons as they outscored the guests, 36-14, before halftime. Walker recorded 8 of those points, and the team hit 5 three-pointers and all 5 of their free throw attempts in the opening 20 minutes.
- The Engineers reached their largest lead of the contest, 33 points, with 6:31 left to go in the game on a Walker layup. Wheaton was able to put a dent in the gap, however, using a 15-5 run before the final minute of regulation. Matt Allegrezza added a free throw to end the contest at 70-40, WPI.
- Lowey led the charge in the 32-34 second half battle with 8 points. Ricardo Ripley shot 2-3 from field goal range, while Cohen, Allegrezza and Jordan Wiggins combined for 13 points in the same half.
- Field Goals: Wheaton 13-50 / WPI 27-61
- 3-Point FG: Wheaton 3-16 / WPI 8-28
- Free Throw: Wheaton 17-23 / WPI 8-9
- Points off Turnovers: Wheaton 20 / WPI 12
- Rebounds: Wheaton 31 / WPI 41
- Assists: Wheaton 4 / WPI 16