Posted: Jan 16, 2019
SCORE: Wheaton 65 - Babson 77
RECORDS: Wheaton (10-5, 1-4 NEWMAC) - Babson (12-4, 5-0 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Babson Park, Mass. (Staake Gymnasium)
- Senior guard David Carbonello led the Wheaton College men's basketball team in a 77-65 loss at Babson College this evening. After tonight, the Lyons move to 10-5 overall and 1-4 in the NEWMAC, while Babson improves to 12-4 and 5-0 in conference play.
- Carbonello scored 16 points to lead the Lyons in addition to 9 rebounds, 5 assists and a steal. Duaka Ekwensi registered 12 points after shooting 5-12 from the field, including 2-3 from beyond the arc.
- Robby Lowey hit 10 points on the night, alongside newcomer Matt Allegrezza, who score 10 points as a reserve.
- Wheaton shot 46.7 percent from 3-point range and 73.7 percent from the line, while collecting 37 rebounds to Babson's 30.
- Babson's Brandon Johnson recorded 18 points to lead all players on the floor, while also pulling down 10 rebounds for the game's only double-double. Guards Andrew Jaworski and Shyheim Ulrickson each scored 11 points, while Frank Oftring and Julian Alexis rounded out the Beavers' starters with 8 points each.
- Babson outscored Wheaton 37-22 at the half, with Riley Tetreault and Niles Cohen leading the visiters splitting a combined 10 points.
- Wheaton trailed in the second half by as many as 27 points when Matt Pattyson hit his jumper at the 11:54 mark. Soon after this largest lead, Allegrezza three-pointer sparked a 9-0 Wheaton run to begin closing the gap. The Lyons quickly put together another 9-0 run just two minutes later that included 7 points from Carbonello and an Ekwensi Layup as they improved the score to 54-66 with 5 minutes in regulation.
- The Blue and White started hitting threes in addition to a trio of Tetreault free throws, setting themselves up to pull within 8 points at 65-73 with 1:04 left on the clock, but 4 Babson free throws to end the game sealed the 77-65 win for the Beavers.
- Field Goals: Wheaton 22-57 / Babson 28-59
- 3-Point FG: Wheaton 7-15 / Babson 7-23
- Free Throw: Wheaton 14-19 / Babson 14-20
- Points off Turnovers: Wheaton 7 / Babson 23
- Rebounds: Wheaton 37 / Babson 30
- Assists: Wheaton 6 / Babson 14