Posted: Jan 19, 2019
SCORE: Wheaton 68 - Emerson 80
RECORDS: Wheaton (10-6, 1-5 NEWMAC) - Emerson (9-8, 4-2 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Emerson Gymnasium)
- The Wheaton College men's basketball team returned to New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) action Saturday morning, falling to Emerson 80-68 in the first of two games in the series.
- Wheaton was paced by 17 point performances from Riley Tetreault and Matt Allegrezza. Tetreault ended the game 6-of-12 from the floor, while Allegrezza finished 5-of-12 while hitting three of his four free-throw attempts. Duaka Ekwensi chipped in 12 points, while David Carbonello netted 10 points while pulling down a team-high seven boards.
- Emerson was led by a game-high 25 points from Jack O'Connor who finished 9-of-20 from the floor, including a 5-for-11 performance from three-point range. Zach Waterhouse knocked down 18 points in the win and Geoffrey Gray finished with 15. Gray also collected a game-high 13 rebounds.
- Both teams were strong off the glass, pulling down 40 total rebounds each, but the visiting Lions held the advantage on the floor, finishing 44.4% of their shots compared to Wheaton's 36.1% shooting.
- After falling behind early, Wheaton battled back, pulling within a point on an Ekwensi three-pointer that made it a 14-13 contest. Despite their efforts, Wheaton would not be able to take control of the lead in the first half, with Emerson rolling into the intermission with a six-point, 40-36 advantage.
- Wheaton continued to push, opening the second half on an 8-2 run that knotted the game at 44 all. The two sides continued to fight for every point, with Wheaton going on to take its first lead of the game with 12:36 remaining courtesy of a Tetreault three with an assist from Nick Geremia. Back-to-back Emerson three-pointers with just under three minutes remaining handed the lead back to the Lions, making it a 68-64 contest. Emerson rebuilt its leading in the closing minutes, ending the game on a 16-4 run to earn the victory.
- Field Goals: Wheaton 22-61 / Emerson 28-63
- 3-Point FG: Wheaton 11-28 / Emerson 8-27
- Free Throw: Wheaton 13-17 / Emerson 16-22
- Points off Turnovers: 13 / Emerson 17
- Rebounds: 40 / Emerson 40
- Assists: 13 / Emerson 9