Posted: Jan 23, 2019
SCORE: Wheaton 78 - Coast Guard 94
RECORDS: Wheaton (10-7, 1-6 NEWMAC) - Coast Guard (11-6, 2-5 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: New London, Conn. (U.S. Coast Guard Academy)
- The Wheaton College men's basketball team suffered a 94-78 loss on the road at Coast Guard this evening, falling 10-7 overall and 1-6 in the NEWMAC. Coast Guard improves to 11-6 and 2-5 with the win.
- David Carbonello scored a career-high 27 points to lead all players in the contest in addition to 4 assists, 4 rebounds and a steal.
- Niles Cohen came off the bench to record 14 points in 29 minutes of work, while Duaka Ekwensi scored 11 to go with 3 rebounds and a pair of blocks.
- Robby Lowey collected a game-high 9 rebounds, also scoring 7 points off of 3 field goals and a free throw.
- Coast Guard's Tyler Perez lead the Bears with 21 points as a reserve, as he shot 5-6 from beyond the arc and an overall 8-13 in field goals.
- Justin Kane shot for 16 points and grabbed 7 boards, while Packy Witkowski, Luke Daniels and Noah Baldez contributed 15, 14 and 12 points, respectively.
- Coast Guard lead the Lyons, 55-31 at the half as Perez knocked down 4 threes and a pair of other field goals for 16 first half points. Three of those three-pointers came back-to-back-to-back to climb to a 31-15 advantage with 8:40 left to play.
- Witkowski was hot to end the half as well, as he hit shots to help the Bears climb to three new largest leads before the halftime break.
- Wheaton picked up the pace in the second half, outscoring the hosts 47-39 over the final 20 minutes of the game.
- Carbonello mirrored Perez' first half ways to get the Lyons off to a good second half start, as he too hit three straight three-pointers and a jumper in just four posessions to bring Wheaton within 18 points with 14:53 to play.
- The Lyons closed a 26 point gap to just 10 points at 76-66 with a Lowey layup at the 8:40 mark, but that was as close as the game would get before the Bears hung on to close the game with a win.
- Field Goals: Wheaton 30-64 / USCGA 36-71
- 3-Point FG: Wheaton 12-28 / USCGA 11-23
- Free Throw: Wheaton 6-10 / USCGA 11-13
- Points off Turnovers: Wheaton 11 / USCGA 20
- Rebounds: Wheaton 30 / USCGA 38
- Assists: Wheaton 14 / USCGA 6