Posted: Feb 06, 2019
SCORE: Wheaton 68 - Springfield 94
RECORDS: Wheaton (11-10, 2-9 NEWMAC) - Springfield (8-15, 5-6 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Springfield, Mass.
- The Springfield College men's basketball team defeated Wheaton College in NEWMAC play tonight, 94-68, as Springfield improves to 8-15 overall and 5-6 in the NEWMAC, while Wheaton drops to 11-10 and 2-9.
- Senior David Carbonello led the Lyons with 18 points, as he shot 6-14 from the field and a perfect, 5-5 from the line.
- Riley Tetreault and Matt Allegrezza each registered 12 points, with Tetreault grabbing four rebounds and Allegrezza collecting three.
- Duaka Ekwensi grabbed a team-high six boards, registering 11 points in the loss.
- Health Post led all in scoring with a 25 point performance while Jake Ross followed up with a double-double, scoring 18 points, a game-high 11 boards, and a game-high seven assists. Post picked up nine rebounds and shot 12-17 from the floor in the win for the Pride.
- Both teams traded points at the start of the first half, as Carbonello was able to convert a trey with just over 11 minutes to play to cut the Lyons deficit to just two points (18-16). The Pride would rattle off a seven-point run and a late three-pointer to help push their lead to 38-26 as the two sides headed into intermission.
- The Lyons pulled within seven points of the Pride thanks to an Ekwensi trey at 15:41, but Springfield answered with a 22-8 run over the next six minutes to give them a 21 points gap (70-49). Wheaton continued to fight, but despite their efforts, it wouldn't be enough to stop the Pride as they ran out the clock to set the game at 94-68.
- The Lyons shot perfect from the line tonight at 11-11, compared to Springfield who shot 84.6 percent (10-13).
- Field Goals: Wheaton 23-56 / Springfield 38-65
- 3-Point FG: Wheaton 11-31 / Springfield 13-27
- Free Throw: Wheaton 11-11 / Springfield 5-9
- Points off Turnovers: Wheaton 4 / Springfield 21
- Rebounds: Wheaton 23 / Springfield 40
- Assists: Wheaton 15 / Springfield 22