SCORE: Wheaton 107 - Wentworth 108 (2OT)
RECORDS: Wheaton (0-1) - Wentworth (1-0)
LOCATION: Boston, Mass. (Tansey Gymnasium)
- The Wheaton College men's basketball team opened the season with a heartbreaking 108-107 double-overtime loss to Wentworth Saturday afternoon on the road.
- The Lyons were paced by a game-high 24 points off the bench from first-year Aaron Williams who finished 8-of-16 from the floor and a perfect 8-for-8 night from the free-throw line. The newcomer also added eight rebounds, a steal, and a block. Mike Perry ended the contest with 20 points in his debut, while Alex DuBrow returned from injury to score 19 points. First-year Evan Cook also netted 19 points off the bench.
- Back-to-back Wentworth three's to open the game set the tone for the first half with the Leopards taking an 11 point, 15-4, lead with 13:40 to go in the half. WIT ended the half with two made free-throws from Stephen Azums, sending them into the half with a 45-33 advantage.
- Wheaton used the second half to slowly chip away at the deficit, outscoring Wentworth 55-43. With four seconds remaining in the game and trailing by two, the Lyons tied the contest for the first time with a layup from Robby Lowey.
- The first overtime period saw the two sides match each other basket for basket with Wentworth holding a slight advantage until the final second when Perry hit a three to send the contest into another overtime.
- Wheaton took the lead early in the second overtime, but a desperation three from Wentworth in the last second handed the home team the win.
- Field Goals: Wheaton 35-75 / Wentworth 37-69
- 3-Point FG: Wheaton 11-33 / Wentworth 17-30
- Free Throw: Wheaton 26-29 / Wentworth 17-23
- Points off Turnovers: Wheaton 29 / Wentworth 20
- Rebounds: Wheaton 37 / Wentworth 39
- Assists: Wheaton 16 / Wentworth 22
UP NEXT: The Lyons return to action on Wednesday, Nov. 20 at 7 p.m. at home against Framingham St. VIDEO / LIVE STATS