SCORE: Wheaton 81 - Clark University 90
RECORDS: Wheaton (5-6, 0-1 NEWMAC) - Clark University (6-6, 1-0 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Worcester, MA (Kneller Athletic Center)
- Wheaton fell short in their NEWMAC opener to Clark, 90-81.
- Senior Alex DuBrow came up with a steal and pushed the ball up court quickly to Ricardo Ripley for the easy bucket to start the scoring.
- Five straight points from First-Year Evan Cook tied the game up at 16-16 with 13:45 remaining in the half.
- After a hot start from behind the arc, Clark took a 24-18 lead after a Biko Gayman three with 11:56 remaining.
- A three from Alex Carlisle gave the Lyons the lead 32-30 with 7:04 remaining in the first half.
- After trading buckets DuBrow hit a tough lay-up with the shot-clock expiring to give Wheaton a 42-39 lead, with just under a minute remaining.
- Early in the second half the Lyons took their largest lead of 7 with 18:37 remaining in the game after a bucket from Carlisle.
- An old-fashion three point play by the Cougar's Gayman gave Clark a 52-50 lead with 15:17 left.
- The Lyons continued to battle behind their seniors DuBrow and Robby Lowey but that was not enough as Clark came out on top 90-81.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- DuBrow finished with a team-high 21 points while adding 5 rebounds, 5 assists, and 4 steals.
- The Cougar's Gayman had a game-high 24 points on 8-of-12 shooting.
- Williams added a double double scoring 12 points while adding 10 boards.
- Clark shot 42.9% from behind the arc, going 15-of-35.
- Wheaton outscored Clark in the paint 35 to 26.
UP NEXT: The Lyons look for their first NEWMAC win of the season as they head to Springfield on Saturday, Jan. 11 for a 3:00 p.m. tip-off.