SCORE: Wheaton 73 - MIT 82
RECORDS: Wheaton (5-9, 0-4 NEWMAC) - MIT (9-6, 2-2 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Norton, MA (Emerson Gymnasium)
- Wheaton fell short to MIT 73-82 in a hard-fought NEWMAC contest.
- MIT started the game on a 9-0 run that was capped off by Ian Hinkley sinking three free throws.
- The Lyons then went on a 6-0 run including two made lay-ups from Aaron Williams, making it 6-9 with 15:15 remaining in the first half.
- The Engineers took their largest lead of the game of twelve with 9:23 remaining in the half, making 25-13 in favor of MIT.
- Coming out of a timeout, the Lyons hit two quick threes by Evan Cook and Alex Carlisle cutting the Engineers lead to 6.
- First-Year Marckenley Lima hit a three with 6:01 remaining in the first half cutting it to a one-possession game, 24-27.
- Wheaton took their first lead of the game after a Robby Lowey made layup, making it 30-29 in favor of the Lyons with 3:41 remaining in the first half.
- MIT closed the half on a 9-2 run to take a 38-32 lead going into halftime.
- The Engineers started the second half on an 8-2 run extending their lead back to 12 just two minutes into the second half.
- Senior Alec DuBrow hit two three-pointers in quick succession to make it 50-44 in favor of the Engineers with 14:16 remaining in the game.
- A Lima three kept the score close with MIT leading just 57-53 with 10:06 remaining.
- DuBrow hit a pair of free throws with 6:00 remaining to make it a one-possession game, 62-64
- The Engineer's Hinkley hit timely shots down the stretch keeping the Lyons out of reach.
- MIT was led by Kael Kordonowy who finished with 30 points as the Lyons fell to the Engineers 73-82.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Carlisle finished with a team-high 16 points.
- The Lyons had five players in double figures.
- Hinkley finished with 27 points while Kordonowy added 30 points and 9 rebounds for MIT.
- Williams led the Lyons off the bench with 13 points and 7 rebounds.
- Wheaton got a boost from their bench as they outscored MIT 35-5 in bench points.
- Lowey chipped in with a near double-double finishing with 10 points and 9 rebounds.
UP NEXT: The Lyons return to action on Wednesday, Jan 22 for a 7:00 p.m. tip-off as they host Babson.