SCORE: Wheaton 73 - WPI 86
RECORDS: Wheaton (5-13, 0-8 NEWMAC) - WPI (15-4, 6-2 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Worcester, MA (Harrington Auditorium)
- The Lyons hung tough with WPI but fell short 73-86.
- WPI took an early 6-0 lead after two made three-pointers.
- Wheaton got on the board as first-year Noah Sochaczevski hit a three to make it 6-3 in favor of the Goats with 17:49 remaining in the first half.
- 5 straight points from Aaron Williams cut the Goat's lead to three making it 17-14 with 13:07 remaining in the half.
- The Lyons took their first lead of the game at 21-20 after a made layup by Senior Robby Lowey midway through the first half.
- WPI then went on a 14-2 run making the score 34-23 with 4:31 remaining in the first half.
- Evan Cook had four straight points late in the half as the Lyons trailed WPI at halftime 42-31.
- Cook and Williams combined for 10 points early in the second half to bring the Lyons to within six with 17:14 remaining in the game.
- First-year Marckenley Lima capped off a 9-0 run by the Lyons with a made three-pointer making it 55-54 in favor of the Goats with 12:03 remaining.
- After another Lima three and two makes from the free-throw line, helped give the Lyons a 59-57 lead 10:29 left.
- A three-point play by the Goat's Jake Wisniewski gave the Goats the lead for good with 9:21 remaining.
- Wheaton continued to battle back making it a five point game multiple times but Wisniewski hit important buckets giving WPI the 86-73 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Cook led the Lyons with 14 points.
- Lowey led Wheaton on the glass with 7 rebounds and adding 8 points.
- Wisniewski had a double-double that included a game-high 23 points and 12 rebounds.
- Sochaczevski and Williams both finished with double-digit points scoring twelve and ten.
UP NEXT: The Lyons return home to Norton as they host Emerson on Wednesday, Feb. 5th for a 7:00 p.m. tip-off.