SCORE: Wheaton 66 - MIT 63
RECORDS: Wheaton (6-14, 1-9 NEWMAC) - MIT (10-11, 3-7 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Cambridge, MA (Rockwell Cage)
- First-year duo Alex Carlisle and Evan Cook lead the Lyons to victory over MIT, 66-63.
- Cook started the game by hitting a three to jump out to the early 3-0 lead.
- Shortly after MIT took their first lead, senior Alex DuBrow hit a three to give the Lyons an 11-9 lead with 13:47 remaining in the first half.
- After falling behind 17-16, the Lyons went on a 10-0 run capped by a layup from Cook giving Wheaton a 26-17 lead with 7:07 remaining in the half.
- Carlisle scored the final four points of the half to give the Lyons a 36-27 lead going into halftime.
- The Engineers went on a 9-0 run to start the second half tieing the game at 36-36 with 15:29 remaining.
- After some back and forth action Carlisle scored 7 points in a row for the Lyons extending their lead to 51-47 with 7:52 remaining in the game.
- MIT came back and tied the game at 55-55 with 3:43 remaining after a made layup from Giannis Chatziveroglou.
- After Carlisle made 1 of 2 free throws, DuBrow extended their lead to 3 with a made layup making it 58-55 with 2:53 remaining.
- Aaron Williams and Carlisle both made a pair of free throws to give Wheaton a 64-61 lead with 00:18 remaining in the game.
- Noah Sochaczevksi sunk a pair of free throws with 8 seconds left to give Wheaton another 3 point-lead.
- The Lyons played stellar defense on the final possession giving them the 66-33 vicotry over MIT.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Carlisle had a game-high of 22 points going 7-of-13 from the floor and adding 4 rebounds.
- Cook had a strong game scoring 14 points on 5-of-12 shooting from the floor.
- DuBrow led the Lyons off the bench, returning from injury with 12 points, 5 rebounds, and 4 assists.
- The Lyons out-rebounded MIT 39 to 32.
- Senior Robby Lowey had a near double-double with 9 rebounds and 8 points.
- Wheaton shot 75% from the free throw line going 15-of-20.
UP NEXT: The Lyons return home to Norton as they host #23 Springfield on Wednesday, Feb. 12th for a 6:00 p.m. tip-off.