Feb 26, 2018
SCORE: Wheaton 6 - UNE 9
RECORDS: Wheaton (0-1, 0-0 NEWMAC) - UNE (1-0)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Diane C. Nordin '80 Field)
- Wheaton first-year Gil Bach had a strong first game, netting his first hat-trick of the season, while also dishing out an assist. The Lyons also got two goals from junior Josh Talanian, who also picked up three of the teams 17 ground balls. Senior James Holston scored Wheaton's other goal while causing a team-high two turnovers and picking up two ground balls.
- In his first start of the season, Joey Mitchell made 10 saves.
- Along with Holston, Victor Moitinho and James Marcucella each caused a team-high two turnovers, while Moitinho and Talanian led the team with three ground balls each.
- Alex Zadworny led UNE with three goals, while Garett Bozek finished with two and four other players each finished with one goal. Adam Race led all players with three caused turnovers, while Matt Layton led everyone with 10 ground balls.
- Trailing 2-0 in the second quarter, the Lyons netted three straight goals to take their first lead of the game. After scoring Wheaton's opening goal, Bach found Talanian for the equalizer. Playing with a one-man advantage, Bach scored his second goal of the game with help from Mike Abramo with 39 seconds remaining until intermission.
- The Nor'easters equalized seven minutes into the third quarter but quickly had it erased by Holston's goal. Liam Pearson assisted on the play. The two sides traded goals to end the quarter, with Bach concluding his hat-trick to give Wheaton a 5-4 lead heading into the final quarter.
- UNE put together a surge of offense in the fourth quarter, scoring five straight goals. With time running out the Lyons managed one more goal with time running out.
- Shots: Wheaton 28 / UNE 40
- Ground Balls: Wheaton 17 / UNE 32
- Clears: Wheaton 11-13 / UNE 7-8
- Face-Offs: Wheaton 2-18 / UNE 16-18
- Saves: Wheaton 10 / UNE 8
UP NEXT: Wheaton returns to action on Wednesday, Feb. 28 at Salve Regina for a 5 p.m.