Posted: Mar 24, 2018
SCORE: Wheaton 14 - UMass.-Dartmouth 2
RECORDS: Wheaton (5-2, 0-0 NEWMAC) - UMass.-Dartmouth (2-4)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Nordin Field)
- In honor of Sean Peter's, a senior captain for the UMASS Dartmouth lacrosse program and brother of Wheaton field hockey and women's lacrosse player Katie Peters, who passed away suddenly last spring due to complications of Type 1 Diabetes, the Lyons dedicated the contest to Juvenile Diabetes awareness. Members of the Wheaton College field hockey team were in attendance collecting donations, with all proceeds going to The Barton Center for Diabetes Education and the Sean Peters Memorial Fund.
- Josh Talanian led the Lyons with his third three-plus goal game of the season, netting a hattrick while dishing out an assist. Scott Whear, CJ Leighton, and Matt Morgan each added two goals apiece, while Jack Hounchell, Mike Abramo, Griffin Phaneuf, Alex Stomberg, and Maxwell McLaughlin all scored once.
- Victor Moitinho led the team with two caused, while also collecting two groundballs. Troy Sliney led all players with nine groundballs.
- Wheaton got things going with three unanswered goals in the first quarter with Talanian scoring twice and Morgan scoring once while assisting Talanian on his first goal.
- The Corsairs got on the board at the start of the second quarter but quickly found themselves overcome by an offensive assault from the Lyons, who ended the half with seven straight goals. Talanian and Whear teamed up for Wheaton's first goal of the quarter, which was followed by goals from Phaneuf, Whear, Leighton, and Morgan.
- With a 10-1 lead, Wheaton opened the second half with two goals in the third quarter with Morgan assisting Stomberg on his goal, before Gil Bach found Abramo for his only goal of the day. UMass.-Dartmouth also found the back of the next in the third quarter, cutting the deficit to 10 with two minutes in left the quarter.
- The Lyons ended the scoring with two fourth-quarter goals with an unassisted go from Hounchell and a man-up goal from McLaughlin that was assisted by Hounchell.
- Shots: Wheaton 40 / UMass.-Dartmouth 32
- Ground Balls: Wheaton 34 / UMass.-Dartmouth 14
- Clears: Wheaton 18-18 / UMass.-Dartmouth 13-14
- Face-Offs: Wheaton 17-20 / UMass.-Dartmouth 3-20
- Saves: Wheaton 11 / UMass.-Dartmouth 8