SCORE: Wheaton 13 - UMass Boston 11
RECORDS: Wheaton (6-2, 0-0 NEWMAC) - UMass Boston (4-4)
LOCATION: Boston, Mass. (James Cotter Field)
- Juniors Josh Talanian and Matt Morgan led all in scoring with four goals apiece. Talanian was able to dish out two assists while Morgan contributed one.
- CJ Leighton and Alex Stomberg each netted two goals with Leighton providing two assists.
- Griffin Phaneuf scored late for the Lyons in the fourth quarter with one goal while Scott Whear had two assists and first-year Jack Hounchell provided one.
- UMass Boston was led by Clay Arnold and Joe Mauceri with three goals each. Clay Arnold was able to provide two assists for the Beacons while Kroy Arnold and Conor Lenfest each ended the night with two goals and two assists.
- Wheaton started the game off hot netting three goals in just three minutes. UMass Boston was able to get on the board at 8:41 but Morgan was able to find the back of the net before the quarter ended, setting the game at 4-1.
- The Beacons went on a 4-0 run in the second quarter to take a 5-4 lead as both teams headed into halftime.
- Morgan would lead the charge in the third quarter scoring late to put the Lyons at an 8-7 lead.
- Wheaton's attack scored five straight goals over six minutes in the fourth quarter to take a 13-8 lead. UMass Boston was able to score three goals late, but it wouldn't be enough to push past the Lyons with the game finishing at 13-11.
- With the win, the Lyons are now on a six-game winning streak as they head into their first NEWMAC regular season game.
- Shots: Wheaton 47 / UMass Boston 37
- Ground Balls: Wheaton 35 / UMass Boston 40
- Clears: Wheaton 15-22 / UMass Boston 11-19
- Face-Offs: Wheaton 12-27 / UMass Boston 15-27
- Saves: Wheaton 12 / UMass Boston 13
UP NEXT: Wheaton returns home to open up the NEWMAC regular season on Saturday, March 31 at 4 p.m. where they will take on MIT on Diane C. Nordin '80 Field.