Posted: Mar 31, 2018
SCORE: Wheaton 7 - MIT 10
RECORDS: Wheaton (6-3, 0-1 NEWMAC) - MIT (5-3, 1-0 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Diane C. Nordin '80 Field)
- Wheaton was led by two-goal performances from Scott Whear and Josh Talanian, while also receiving goals from James Holston, Griffin Phaneuf, and Matt Morgan.
- Connor Donaghy led the Lyons with five groundballs, while both Chandler Miller and Alex Stomberg collected three. Donaghy also led the all players with three caused turnovers, while Morgan forced two.
- Graham Davis finished with a hat trick for the Engineers, while Luke Gianni picked up a game-high 11 groundballs.
- Miller came up with 13 saves in the complete game loss for Wheaton, while Victor Fink made five saves in the MIT win.
- MIT took a quick 2-0 lead, scoring back-to-back goals just seven seconds apart. Morgan cut the Lyon deficit to one goal at the 10:05 mark in the opening quarter, but the Engineers responded with two more goals before the end of the quarter.
- The Engineers opened the second frame with another quick goal. This time Wheaton netted two straight goals to make it a 5-3 game. Holston picked up the first goal for Wheaton, while Talanian netted the first of his two goals at the 9:44 mark. MIT ended the half with a Mark Heatzig goal, taking a 6-3 advantage into intermission.
- Like they did in the first two quarters, MIT opened the third with a goal, before following up with another to make it an 8-3 contest. CJ Leighton found Whear for his first goal of the game with 11 seconds remaining in the third.
- Wheaton won the fourth quarter, outscoring MIT 3-2, but it would not be enough to lift them past the visiting Engineers.
- Shots: Wheaton 29 / MIT 39
- Ground Balls: Wheaton 25 / MIT 42
- Clears: Wheaton 14-16 / MIT 9-14
- Face-Offs: Wheaton 5-21 / MIT 16-21
- Saves: Wheaton 13 / MIT 5