Apr 21, 2018
SCORE: Wheaton 17 - Emerson 3
RECORDS: Wheaton (7-6, 1-4 NEWMAC) - Emerson (2-9, 0-5 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Nordin Field)
- Prior to the start of the contest, the Lyons honored its seniors for their contributions to the program.
- Wheaton was led by a four goal day from CJ Leighton, while Griffin Phaneuf and Jack Hounchell each finished with a hat-trick, while Tyler Brown-Ortiz finished the game with two goals.
- Wheaton opened the first quarter with four goals, starting with a goal from Matt Morgan just two minutes in. Brown-Ortiz followed with an unassisted goal two minutes later. Hounchell found Leighton with 4:18 remaining in the opening quarter, while Morgan hit an open Maxwell McLaughlin for the Lyons final goal of the frame.
- The Lyons continued to own the first half with a goal from Phaneuf just a minute into the second quarter, which was followed by another Leighton goal with another Morgan dish. Leighton netted his third goal of the game with 7:46 remaining until intermission, while Hounchell put Wheaton ahead 9-0 with back-to-back goals. Emerson finally got on the board with less than a minute until halftime with an unassisted goal from Jared Brush.
- Wheaton drained five more goals in the third quarter wtih Leighton, Troy Sliney, Brown-Ortiz, Houchell, and Phaneuf all finding the back of the net. Joe Meyers ended the scoring in the third quarter, putting away Emerson's second goal of the game.
- McLaughlin found Phaneuf for his final goal of the game and the first of the fourth quarter with 13:19 left in the game. Luke Veratti fed Gil Bach for Wheaton's next goal, putting Wheaton on top 16-2. Playing with an extra man, Emerson scored its final goal of the game at the 7:39 mark. Wheaton ended the scoring with 3:38 left with Mike Abramo scoring on a Hounchell assist.
- Shots: Wheaton 46 / Emerson 29
- Ground Balls: Wheaton 23 / Emerson 32
- Clears: Wheaton 19-20 / Emerson 9-12
- Face-Offs: Wheaton 5-24 / Emerson 19-24
- Saves: Wheaton 11 / Emerson 8