Posted: Apr 25, 2018
SCORE: Wheaton 10 - Mass. Maritime 6
RECORDS: Wheaton (8-6, 2-4 NEWMAC) - Mass. Maritime (5-8, 0-6 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Buzzards Bay, Mass. (Clean Harbors)
- Wheaton was paced by a hat-trick from Josh Talanian, while Gil Bach and CJ Leighton both finished with two goals each. Scott Whear, Jack Hounchell, and Griffin Phaneuf also scored in the win.
- Colin Walsh, who picked up the win in goal for the Lyons, came up with 11 saves and a game-high five groundballs.
- After falling behind in the opening seven minutes, Talanian evened the score with 12:15 remaining in the opening quarter with an assist from Matt Morgan. The goal was followed by a put away from Whear with help from Leighton, handing the Lyons their first lead of the game. The Buccaneers responded with an equalizer of their own with 4:14 left in the quarter. Phaneuf gave the lead back to Wheaton, but had it erased by a goal from Andrew Franks, which sent both teams into the second quarter tied at three-all.
- Both sides played solid defense in the second quarter with the two teams combining for just three goals. Hounchell found Leighton for the first goal of the quarter, while Hounchell scored one of his own right before the intermission putting Wheaton ahead 5-4 at the break.
- The Buccaneers took the lead back at the start of the third quarter with two quick goals. Bach tied the game at 6-6 with 4:04 to go in the third, while Morgan and Leighton teamed up to hand the lead back to the Lyons for good with 1:59 on the clock.
- Wheaton added three insurance goals in the fourth quarter with Morgan assisting Talanian for the first and last goals of the quarter, while Bach found the back of the net on his own.
- Shots: Wheaton 32 / Mass. Maritime 37
- Ground Balls: Wheaton 28 / Mass. Maritime 24
- Clears: Wheaton 16-21 / Mass. Maritime 23-24
- Face-Offs: Wheaton 6-18 / Mass. Maritime 12-18
- Saves: Wheaton 11 / Mass. Maritime 7