SCORE: Wheaton 16 - Johnson & Wales 7
RECORDS: Wheaton (2-1, 0-0 NEWMAC) - Johnson & Wales (0-2)
LOCATION: Providence, RI
- Wheaton juniors Josh Talanian and Mike Abramo both netted three goals in the win, while Pete Chisholm, Alex Berg, Matt Morgan, and CJ Leighton each recorded two. Connor Donaghy was also able to net one in the win.
- Leighton added a game-high four assists to his two goals, while Ambramo finished with two assists. Chisholm and Morgan each followed up with one apiece.
- Ben Farrel ended the game with a hat-trick for the Wildcats of Johnson & Wales, while teammates Jacob deMay netted two.
- Chandler Miller collected the win for the Lyons after playing 56:17 in goal, coming up with 11 saves on the 18 shots he faced.
- Johnson & Wales took an early lead in the opening quarter, but Wheaton responded with Morgan scoring the tying goal at 12:59 and Abramo following up with the lead goal a minute later (4-3). Johnson & Wales answered with two goals, but Abramo and Talanian would score with under a minute left to help regain the lead before the half.
- Wheaton found their rhythm in the second quarter, scoring six goals to Johnson & Wales two, sending the Lyons into the intermission with a 7-5 advantage.
- The Lyons continued their form into the third quarter of action, scoring five goals in the frame. The Wildcats found two goals from Farrell and Calisto at 11:47 and 4:12.
- Wheaton kept the pressure on in the fourth quarter, netting four unanswered goals to push past the Wildcats of Johnson & Wales 16-7.
- Shots: Wheaton 48 / Johnson & Wales 29
- Ground Balls: Wheaton 56 / Johnson & Wales 30
- Clears: Wheaton 23-27 / Johnson & Wales 19-29
- Face-Offs: Wheaton 16-25 / Johnson & Wales 9-25
- Saves: Wheaton 11 / Johnson & Wales 19
UP NEXT: Wheaton returns to action on Friday, March 8 at 4:00 p.m. where they will face off against UMass-Dartmouth on Diane C. Nordin '80 Field.