SCORE: Wheaton 10 - UMass.-Dartmouth 8
RECORDS: Wheaton (3-1, 0-0 NEWMAC) - UMass.-Dartmouth (1-1)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Diane C. Nordin Field)
- The Wheaton men's lacrosse team opened their second home game of the 2019 campaign with a 10-8 win over the Corsairs of UMass-Dartmouth on Diane C. Nordin Field.
- Mike Abramo led the Lyons with a hattrick while CJ Leighton, Josh Talanian, and Matt Morgan each added two goals apiece in the win. First year Alex Berg found the back of the net once while also dishing out one assist.
- James Marcucella, Trey Kaufmann, and Leighton each tied for a team-high two caused turnovers. Troy Sliney led all players with a game-high 15 groundballs, winning 18-21 face offs for the blue and white.
- Mike Rizzo led the Corsairs with three goals while Donovan Prozinski followed up with two. Josh Souza, Sawyer Gibbons, and Kevin Swenson each contributed one goal in the loss.
- Wheaton got on the board first with Berg dishing off an assist to Abramo at 10:02. UMass-Dartmouth scored four minutes after the inital goal and followed up with their second just a minute later. After a tightly contested frame, Morgan finished the scoring off with a goal at 3:29 to set the game even at 2-2.
- Talanian and Morgan teamed up for Wheaton's first goal of the second quarter, which was followed by another goal from Abramo shortly after to push ahead 4-2, but the Corsairs quickly responded by going on a 3-0 run to regain the lead before intermission (5-4) .
- The third quarter proved to be the turning point for the Lyons as they were able to shut down the Corsair's offense, going on a 4-0 unanswered run to regain the lead at 8-6.
- UMass-Darmouth opened the final quarter with a goal at 10:50, but the Lyons persistance payed off as Berg and Leighton were able to score back to back goals to solidify their win.
- Chandler Miller recorded 14 saves after seeing 22 shots, picking up his third win of the season for the Lyons (3-1).
- Shots: Wheaton 47 / UMass.-Dartmouth 40
- Ground Balls: Wheaton 32 / UMass.-Dartmouth 20
- Clears: Wheaton 27-27 / UMass.-Dartmouth 23-27
- Face-Offs: Wheaton 18-21 / UMass.-Dartmouth 3-21
- Saves: Wheaton 14 / UMass.-Dartmouth 12
UP NEXT: Wheaton returns to road on Saturday, March 16 where they will face off against Wentworth for a 12 p.m. contest.