SCORE: Wheaton 14 - Plymouth State 11
RECORDS: Wheaton (5-1, 0-0 NEWMAC) - Plymouth State (1-3)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Diane C. Nordin Field)
- Wheaton was led by senior Matt Morgan who scored a season-high four goals and two assists while senior CJ Leighton and first-year Pete Chisholm each followed up with a hattrick. Leighton also contributed two assists on the night with Chisholm dishing out one.
- Teg Cosgriff, Mike Abramo, Alex Stomberg, and Josh Talanian were all able to get on the board with one goal each with Abramo picking up two assists and Stomberg with one.
- James Marcucella led the Lyons defense with five caused turnovers and three ground balls while Sliney contributed a team-high six ground balls.
- Plymouth State was led by Casey Elkins who scored a game-high and career-high five goals and one assist while Paul Luongo followed up with two in the Panthers loss.
- The game started off a battle with both teams fighting for the lead. Talanian and Leighton helped the Lyons gain the lead early with two goals at 13:48 and 11:59, but Plymouth St. answered with two back to back goals at the eight-minute mark. Morgan would find the back of the net at 3:26 to help Wheaton regain the lead (3-2) as they headed into the second.
- The second quarter would prove to be just as much of a battle as the first, with both teams trading points and eventually evening out at 5-5 as they headed into intermission.
- The third quarter was the turning point for the Lyons as they outscored the Panthers 6-3, pushing them ahead 11-8.
- Elkins was able to net his fifth goal for the Panthers at the start of the final quarter, but Wheaton was able to go on a 3-1 run shortly after to finish out the game, setting the scoreline to 14-11.
- Chandler Miller recorded 17 saves after seeing 28 shots on the night and records his fifth win of the season for the Lyons.
- Shots: Wheaton 46 / Plymouth State 45
- Ground Balls: Wheaton 27 / Plymouth State 20
- Clears: Wheaton 20-24 / Plymouth State 16-19
- Face-Offs: Wheaton 15-27 / Plymouth State 12-27
- Saves: Wheaton 17 /Plymouth State 13
UP NEXT: The Lyons will hit the road on Tuesday, March 26, where they will take on Trinity (Conn.) at 7:00 P.M.