SCORE: Wheaton 10 - New England College 8
RECORDS: Wheaton (6-3, 0-1 NEWMAC) - New England College (3-8, 1-0 NECC)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Diane C. Nordin )
- The Wheaton men's lacrosse team opened up the new month with a 10-8 win over the Pilgrims of New England College on Tuesday night on Diane C. Nordin '80 Field.
- Wheaton was led by Pete Chisholm, Gil Bach, and CJ Leighton who each scored two goals apiece while Alex Berg, Mike Abramo, Alex Stomberg, and Matt Morgan contributed one goal each in the Lyons win.
- New England College was led by Charles Hacking who scored a game-high four goals while dishing off one assist. Patrick Storie followed up with two goals for the Pilgrims while Connor Smith and Reilly Parker notched one.
- Wheaton opened up the first quarter with a 4-1 run with goals coming from Stomberg, Morgan and Bach before New England College was able to take advantage of being up a man, scoring at the 2:34 mark (3-1). Abramo would find the back of the net with 18 seconds left to help stretch the Lyons lead as they headed into the second.
- The second quarter was more tightly contested than the first with both sides notching two goals each throughout the frame to set the scoreline at 6-3 at intermission.
- The Lyons were able to score early in the third quarter with Berg scoring an unassisted goal at 9:51 and Chisholm find the back of the net just 50 seconds later to put Wheaton up by five (8-3). Hacking tallied his second and third goal of the night at 6:19 and 3:01 to help cut the Pilgrims deficit down by two as they headed into the last quarter.
- Using the momentum from the third quarter, New England College managed to outscore the Lyons 3-1 throughout the first 10 minutes of play. With a one goal gap between the two sides and only five minutes left in regulation, Chisholm was able to slip his way through the Pilgrim defense to net the final goal of the game and soldify the win for the white and blue (10-8).
- Chander Miller recorded 10 saves in net for the Lyons.
- Shots: Wheaton 51 / New England College 33
- Ground Balls: Wheaton 34 / New England College 22
- Clears: Wheaton 17-20 / New England College 23-26
- Face-Offs: Wheaton 12-21 / New England College 9-21
- Saves: Wheaton 10 / New England College 12
UP NEXT: Wheaton returns home on Saturday, April 6 at 1 p.m. to play against NEWMAC opponent Coast Guard on Diane C. Nordin '80 Field.