SCORE: Wheaton 6 - Emerson 7
RECORDS: Wheaton (6-7, 0-5 NEWMAC) - Emerson (3-12, 1-4 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Boston, Mass. (Rotch Field )
- Wheaton was led by Pete Chisholm and CJ Leighton who each tallied two goals while Gil Bach and Matt Morgan contributed one apiece in the Lyons loss.
- James Marcucella led the Lyons defense with a team-high two caused turnovers.
- Emerson's Skyler Celotto led all players on the day with three goals while Tim Doyle, Jared Brush, Austin Franklin, and Hunter Gervais each notched one in the Lions win. Austin DiPietro led all players in ground balls with seven while Jiwon Kim followed up with four.
- Wheaton was able to strike first in the opening frame with Chisholm finding the back of the net at 4:40. The Lyons would continue to press the Emerson defense, scoring three unanswered goals in the second frame to increase their lead to 4-0 at intermission.
- Emerson responded in the third period by going a 3-0 run, cutting their deficit down to just one goal (4-3) before following up in the fourth with an early goal at 14:23 to set the game even at 4-4. Chisholm would score his second goal of the night with 8:23 left to help the Lyons regain the lead, but Emerson once again was able to knot the score at 5-5. The Lions of Emerson eventually claimed their first lead of the game at the 3:07 mark (6-5) but with only 36 seconds left in regulation, Leighton was able to bury a clutch goal to tie the game and help carry the Lyons into overtime.
- In overtime, Wheaton registered a saved shot at 3:03, but with five seconds left, Emerson's first-year Celotto netted the game-winner to lift Emerson past the blue and white.
- Shots: Wheaton 34 / Emerson 43
- Ground Balls: Wheaton 13 / Emerson 28
- Clears: Wheaton 21-21 / Emerson 20-22
- Face-Offs: Wheaton 4-17 / Emerson 13-17
- Saves: Wheaton 19 / Emerson 13
UP NEXT: Wheaton returns to action on Wednesday, April 24 at 7 p.m. where they will host NEWMAC opponent Mass.-Maritime at 7:00 PM.