SCORE: Wheaton 11 - Mass.-Maritime 9
RECORDS: Wheaton (7-7, 1-5 NEWMAC) - Mass.-Maritime (6-8, 0-6 NEWMAC)
LOCATION: Norton, Mass. (Diane C. Nordin '80 Field)
- Wheaton was paced by a hat-trick from seniors CJ Leighton and Alex Stomberg, while Pete Chisholm, Alex Berg, Gil Bach, Mike Abramo each contributed one goal apiece in the Lyons victory.
- Sophomore Troy Sliney picked up a game-high 10 ground balls while Dylan Janovic led the Lyons with two caused turnovers.
- Mass.-Maritime was led by Alexandre Lucas and Colby Unterstein with two goals each while Benjamin Avakian, Ted Powers, Franklin Ragge, Trey Guerrini, and Spencer Jones each netted one in the Buccaneers loss.
- Mass.-Maritime opened up the game with a goal at 8:58, but the Lyons answered 13 seconds later with Leighton netting his first goal of three on the night to tie things up at 1-1. Less than a minute later, Abramo would help the Lyons take the lead with an unassisted goal at 7:58. The Buccaneers were able to start the second frame with a goal at 7:54 and another at 6:05, but the Lyons responded and were able to spark a 4-0 run to regain the lead at 6-3 before intermission.
- Both sides battled defensively in the third quarter, with the two teams only notching two goals apiece. Stomberg tallied his lone goal of the night at 14:05 while Pete Chisholm would slip one past the keeper at 9:56. With only 2:23 left in the quarter, Mass.-Maritime used their man-up advantage to score, setting the game at 8-5 in the Lyons favor.
- The Buccaneers would outscore Wheaton 4-3 in the final quarter, but it wouldn't be enough to stop the Lyons as they continued to control the clock, running it down to solidify their first New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) win at 11-9.
- Chandler Miller picked up the win in net for the Lyons, coming up with 18 saves after seeing 27 shots.
- Shots: Wheaton 25 / Mass. Maritime 56
- Ground Balls: Wheaton 27 / Mass. Maritime 24
- Clears: Wheaton 20-24 / Mass. Maritime 19-22
- Face-Offs: Wheaton 17-23 / Mass. Maritime 6-23
- Saves: Wheaton 18 / Mass. Maritime 7
UP NEXT: Wheaton returns to action on Saturday, April 27 for their final NEWMAC game of the season where they will face off against the Pride of Springfield College at 1:00 PM.