Lyons draw even in double overtime in second straight league game

Lyons draw even in double overtime in second straight league game

NEW LONDON, Conn.- For the second time in as many New England Women's and Men's Athletic Conference (NEWMAC) games, the Wheaton College men's soccer team settled for a 1-1 tie in double overtime, as the Lyons drew even with host United States Coast Guard Academy on Saturday.

Wheaton, which is now 6-4-2 overall and 1-1-2 in league play, gave the Bears their first conference blemish.  Coast Guard is 7-3-1 on the season and 3-0-1 in the NEWMAC.

The Blue and White nearly broke the scoreless tie in the eighth minute, when sophomore Luke Finkelstein (Peabody, Mass./Peabody) fed classmate Travis Blair (Hastings, N.Y./Hastings), who ripped a shot that was saved by the Bear keeper.

The hosts responded with a quality chance five minutes later, but freshman goalie Matt Dickey (Newton, Mass./Northfield Mount Hermon School) came up big with a diving stop.

Lyon freshman Kevin Gil (Pawtucket, R.I./Wheeler School) snapped the stalemate when he took advantage of a Coast Guard turnover.  Gil intercepted a pass just outside of the box and planted his shot into the upper right corner of the net in the 36th minute.

Approaching the midway point of the second half, Bear freshman Richard Davies (Richardson, Texas) evened the score after receiving a pass from sophomore Matthew Bogdan (Lexington Park, Md.) off a free kick.

Dickey was clutch in the two overtimes for the Lyons, thwarting multiple Bear chances.  Dickey recorded a diving save in the 96th minute of the first extra session before making a pair of game-saving stops in the second overtime to preserve the tie.

Dickey finished with seven saves, while Coast Guard sophomore goalkeeper Richie Burns (Long Beach, Calif.) had six stops.

The Bears held edges of 19-14 in shots and 5-3 in corner kicks.

Wheaton wraps up its five-game road swing tomorrow with a non-conference match against Husson University at 4:00 p.m.