Last-second Lyon goal forces overtime as Wheaton and Trinity draw even

Last-second Lyon goal forces overtime as Wheaton and Trinity draw even

HARTFORD, Conn.- The Wheaton College men's soccer team overcame a 2-0 deficit and forced overtime after freshman Noah Kossoff (New York, N.Y./Birth Wathen Lenox School) scored with just 41 ticks left in regulation on Monday at Trinity College, as the visiting Lyons drew even by a 2-2 count in double overtime. 

Matching a program mark for ties in a season, Wheaton is now 7-5-4, while the Bantams extended their winless streak to three games in moving to 5-3-4.

Trinity jumped out to a quick start, firing off 15 first-half shots while scoring a pair of goals by the midway point of the opening frame.  The hosts converted a penalty kick 12:14 into play before making the score 2-0 in the 23rd minute.

Just over a minute later, Wheaton sophomore Travis Blair (Hastings, N.Y./Hastings) was denied a chance when a Bantam player held him off just long enough for the Trinity goalie to get a hand on Blair's shot.  After the hosts had an apparent goal taken away by an offside call, Trinity followed a corner kick with a shot, but freshman goalie Matt Dickey (Newton, Mass./Northfield Mount Hermon School) made a big stop to keep the margin at two.

In the second half, Bantam junior goalie James Ciano (Syosset, N.Y./Syosset) dove to keep the Lyons off the board on a blast from the top of the box by sophomore Brian Kenny (Mount Vernon, N.Y./Iona Prep) in the 57th minute.  Midway through the half, Blair took a cross from senior Max Swanson (Lexington, Mass./Lexington) and headed the ball into the net.

Kossoff knotted the game with a close shot after a scrum ensued during a corner kick taken by sophomore Luke Finkelstein (Peabody, Mass./Peabody)

Wheaton controlled play in the extra sessions, outshooting the Bantams by an 11-3 count, including an 8-1 advantage in the second overtime.  Blair was turned aside by Ciano in the first extra frame before a barrage of shots by Blair and senior Will Nesbitt (Holliston, Mass./Holliston) in the second session went for naught.  Blair recorded four and Nesbitt three.

Dickey was credited with four stops for the Lyons, while Ciano had seven saves.

Trinity finished with a 25-20 advantage in shots and an 8-7 edge in corner kicks.

Wheaton travels to local foe Bridgewater State University on Wednesday for a non-conference game at 3:30 p.m.